Sunday, July 15, 2012

It’s None of Your Business

“It’s none of your business!”


Thinking back to when you were younger, how many times did you hear a grown use this expression? I think I heard it a thousand times…. in 6 months. I would hear it and then try to find out from somewhere else. Fortunately for me, I never did run into the wrong situation while asking. Not all young people will be so lucky.

As tomorrow’s leaders, our young people need to know their thoughts and opinions matter. We cannot “close the door” on them whenever they come to us. It is as easy as opening a door or slamming it shut.

If opening a door, the conversation will include the following responses to a teenager:


  • "What do you think?"
  • "Would you like to share more about that?"
  • "That's an excellent question."
  • "I don't know, but I'll find out"
  • "I'm interested in what you are thinking or saying."
  • "Do you know what that means?"
  • "That sounds important to you."
  • "Would you like to talk about it?"

If closing a door, the conversation will include the following responses to a teenager:

  • "You’re too young to understand."
  • "If you say that again, I'll..."
  • "That's none of your business."
  • "I don't care what your friends are doing!"
  • "We'll talk about that when you need to know."
  • "That's just for boys/girls"
  • "Why are you asking me that?"
  • "You don't need to know about that."
  • "Don't come to me if you mess up."

We need to encourage, not discourage.



Are you an “OPENER” or are you a “CLOSER?”


Travis Hardin

Pay it forward

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Be sure to sign up for our newsletter under the STAY CONNECTED tab.